Tuesday, July 08, 2008

A Summer Favorite:


This afternoon, while Michael napped, I made the first batch of gazpacho of the summer! I think this just might be one of my very favorite dishes. Here is the recipe that I use, which is from Reluctant Gourmet. (Check out the Reluctant Gourmet link, it's a great site!!)

Recipe from Reluctant Gourmet:

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 cups cold tomato juice (I use V8 juice)
  • 1 small, well minced onion
  • 2 cups freshly diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup minced green pepper
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1 cucumber, diced 2 scallions, chopped
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon each of dried tarragon and basil (if you have fresh, use 1 tablespoon of each)
  • dash of ground cumin
  • 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley
  • dash of Tabasco sauce
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil salt & pepper to taste

PREP WORK

Even though everything is going to go into the food processor, you still have to chop up a bunch of the ingredients beforehand. So get out your favorite chopping knives and get cutting.

HOW TO MAKE AT HOME

Process all the ingredients except for the tomato juice in a food processor. Don't over process the ingredients. Then combine that with the tomato juice in a large bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.

If you don't have a food processor you can try processing the ingredients in a blender with a little tomato juice. You may have to prepare it in batches.

I like to serve this with a fresh baguette that I also purchase at our Farmer's Market.

gazpacho soup

0 comments: