Thursday, April 10, 2008

Swimming Lessons- Michael's Take!


Last night I asked Michael what he thinks about taking some swimming lessons this summer. His response was, "WHY?" I explained that he would be in a class with other children, he would have a teacher, and he would learn how to do the back float, and the superman float. Again, he responded with a , "WHY?" I then revisited the long list of swimming skills that he would learn: back float, blowing bubbles, putting his face under the water, jumping off the side of the pool, and so on. After I went through the list, he proceeded to "float" on his back in the tub, he sat up and blew bubbles, and then put his face under. It was like he was saying to me, whatever Mom! I can already do that stuff-big deal!

After teaching swimming lessons for years and years, I know that just because he can perform those skills in the tub DOES NOT mean he will perform them in the pool. : ) I remember so many parents saying, "But...I don't understand. He always puts his face under in the bathtub! He knows how to blow bubbles!"

I'm really looking forward to Michael taking lessons this summer. I doubt he'll learn a whole lot, but I just can't wait to see him in a class, with a teacher and other children. A big part of me wonders if he'll actually cooperate with the teacher or if he'll make a beeline out of the pool for his Mama. I'm counting on the later of the two, knowing his temperment.

We thoroughly enjoyed the warm weather today. Michael was so tired this evening from playing outside at daycare, and at home this evening. I am so incredibly thankful that tax season is almost over. Poor Josh is so worn out, but somehow is still so focused. He's amazing. I'm realizing that more and more each day. I can't wait to get away in a little over a week--just the three (well, four ; )) of us, to one of our very favorite places.

2 comments:

Kelly A said...

How sweet that he wants to show you he can already do those things!!! I think swimming lessons will be great though....I really need to get on the ball with that!!

The weather has been fantastic!!! It seems to make the days SO much more enjoyable:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...I just had a flashback to teaching lessons it is funny to think that you will be on the other side of things in being a parent observing class! I remember Michael in the pool at the beach last summer and when he got tired one day and was just ready to go home :)

I'm happy tax season is almost over for Josh & your family! I'm sure some R&R will go a long way :)

TGIF!
LUV ~ Amy