
...about reading a book that was published in 1906, isn't there?
I'm still in the process of reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair, in fact I'm about halfway through at this point. In eleventh grade, we were assigned to read The Jungle by our history teacher. As I did with many books in school, I read as much I needed to get by and then (somehow) wrote a essay or two about the book. From what I remember, though, I found this book to be intriguing and I was disappointed in myself for not reading the book in its entirety in 11th grade. I have a feeling that I didn't bother to finish it because we were MOVING! ON! (You know how that goes...you snooze you lose, teachers don't wait for slow pokes...)
If you haven't read The Jungle, OR if you were supposed to have read it but did the "cliff notes" instead; go to your local library and check it out!
The Jungle is based on a Lithuanian family who works in the meat packing industry during the early 1900's. This family, through their struggles, describes the challenges and the tragedies encountered while working in the meat packing industry. It's truly unbelievable what many immigrants went through during this time period. Actually, I should say it's HORRIFIC what many immigrants went through in the early 1900's.
Here's an example, many new mother's had no choice but to work. Which meant that those babies were not nursed by their mother's; so they were given "milk" from the grocery store. This "milk" from the grocery store had a bluish tint to it and was filled with chemicals like formaldehyde. Oftentimes, chemicals or other "fillers" were tossed into beverages and food, without any repercussions. All parts of animals were used, whether the animal's meat was spoiled or sour, and lots of chemicals were added to food, as well. Again, it's just horrific.
Sinclair's phenomenal book prompted Theodore Roosevelt to pass the Pure Food and Drug Act AND the Meat Inspection Act in 1906.
Here is a snippet:
"Here is a population, low-class and mostly foreign, hanging always on the verge of starvation and dependent for its opportunities of life upon the whim of men every bit as brutal and unscrupulous as the old-time slave drivers; under such circumstances, immorality is exactly as inevitable, and as prevalent, as it is under the system of chattel slavery." Chapter 10, pg. 126(Quote from bookrags...)
Didn't mean to gross you out this evening...I just strongly encourage you to read this book, that's all.
What's your favorite classic? Or, your very favorite book? Tell me about it...it's almost time to go back to the library!

1 comments:
Funny you post this, my son was telling me last night he has to read Whats eating Gilbert Grape for school. To me, this is a strange choice of literature (Is that what it would be considered). I remember in school reading The Scarlet Letter and The Grapes of Wrath. For me, I remember hating The Scarlet Letter. Now, I absolutely LOVE the book and enjoy the movie!
Post a Comment