At the end of the school year, a number of people asked me if I was going to take Michael to his sitter over the summer. You know, just to keep his feet wet, if you will. I quickly responded with a resounding, "NO! My baby is staying with ME."
And so, now I'm eating my words. The closer we got to the end of the school year, the more I heard about this notion from my teacher friends. It turns out that a lot of moms and dads do this over the summer. One reason being, it helps the little one stay in the routine of going to the sitter or to daycare. The second reason being, many parent's enjoy the time to get a few things done around the house or running errands.
This morning, Michael went to spend some time with his sitter and the other children. The drop off was really rough. The reunion with his friends was wonderful, though. One little girl just enveloped Michael with a gigantic, joyful hug. That warmed my heart. I did my main errand, getting my address changed on my license and I registered to vote. (***Which, by the way, are you registered???? DO IT. ASAP.--That's a BIG soapbox of mine.*** ) That took about an hour. The other two and a half hours? I wandered around town and tried not to think about how much I missed my baby boy.
The frequent visits to the sitter are going to be more helpful for MY separation anxiety, than Michael's, I'm afraid! There was a time, before Michael, that I would have loved to have spent an hour browsing the aisles at Target. And now? I'd prefer an hour at the park with my baby boy pretty much any day.
Priorities are a funny thing, aren't they?
To Winter
5 years ago

2 comments:
Kate...he is such a cute little boy!! I would love to come out some day to see you guys...let me know what works for you. Kim and Ethan
You are so sweet! Who wouldn't want to spend an afternoon with your adorable and loving son. We really enjoyed seeing you two on Friday, he is SO cute!!
Let's do it again this Friday...if you can. :)
~Melis
Post a Comment