Josh says this describes Michael's feelings towards me these days. Michael has reached the glorious separation anxiety phase of toddler hood. It's heartbreaking. And, it's exhausting. (Mothers out there, please feel free to offer up some advise, if you'd like...) I'm hoping that this stage is short-lived and that the end of tax season will loosen the clenches that Michael has on my heart (and my leg) right now. Josh pointed out (a few weeks ago) that Michael was asking for me more than usual. I didn't believe Josh. Now I do.
As much as this little guy LUVS his Mommy, he can turn that love into pure frustration and aggravation in about thirty seconds. Case in point...Michael begs for me to come play in the garage with him this afternoon. (He's really not supposed to play in the garage...according to the safety policeman of the house.) He begins to pull out all of Josh's sports equipment...footballs, basketballs, tennis racquets, etc, etc...when I tell him it's time for dinner and that we are going to clean up; he thrashes himself on the ground and begins to kick and hit. Lovely.
I told my mom today that he is very much like the autistic students I teach, primarily, in that he has an EXTREMELY difficult time transitioning from one activity to another. (Teaching proves to be GREAT practice for child rearing, I often find myself thinking, "how would I handle this in my classroom?" ) My mom pointed out that he's almost two, and that his behavior understandable and normal. I still would like some tips on how to get him to deal with changing from one activity to the next; without acting like a greasy, squealing, pig in a pig scramble. Maybe a bell of some sort? What about a timer?
Ah, but he is so precious and I do love every bit of that sweet, adorable, almost two year old body.
To Winter
5 years ago

2 comments:
great post and really liked the picture
I would like to say this is just a phase but I often find myself doing the same thing when Kim tells me to go cut the lawn, take out the garbage or wash the cars and i am almost 30. - Dave (the not really a roommate)
Post a Comment