Thursday, October 02, 2008

"Did we have a fun day, Mom?"


Josh and I came to the realization that this baby is going to be born in a different season than Michael about a week ago.  I'm not real sure how we arrived at that crazy- kind of important- epiphany, but there we were!  Last weekend I decided that our baby would likely need some sort of snugly "thing" to wear on our nature walks, or to the pumpkin patch, or the park, or even for the ride home from the hospital.  

(Were we thinking that the weather was just going to stay in the 80's for the next month?  Because that's usually not how October works around here.)

The three of us made a journey to Old Navy last weekend in search of one those "snugly outfit things", and found one that was too big (3 to 6 months).  Josh has been a little bit resistant to this purchase because he doesn't think baby boys should be wearing white, or any variation of white:  off white, beige, all those colors are for girls, he says.  Naturally, I disagree.  I love all infants in white, boy or girl.  When the baby is three months, we'll find one in pink or blue. Until then, it's white!

All of this brings us to today.  Michael and I decided to take a little trip to a mall that is about 50 minutes away, primarily because this mall has both a Gap for kids 
and an Old Navy.  We were able to find the perfect "BUNDLER" for the baby, in the correct size, and in white! Aside from that purchase, the rest of the mall trip was all about Michael B.  He played on the indoor, germ laden, playground equipment.  And, I treated him to Chick-Fil-A, which is his favorite "restaurant".  We also did a little shopping for his babies, Moo and Giraffe.  That whole escapade was a little annoying.  It turns out that Moo is GIRL and really needed some accessories from one of those "Claire's" stores.  I humored him and took him into the store so that he could "shop" for Moo. This quickly started to back fire because I was not about to buy one single princess item for his stuffed cow.  Somehow, I concocted a story
 about Josh picking up Moo's gift on the way home from work tonight.  This seemed to satisfy Michael. Though, I know he has not forgotten this lie of mine, and fully expects Josh to bring her a present this evening.  

After I tucked Michael into his bed for nap this afternoon and turned out the light, he reminded me that we did not paint today.  I told him that maybe we would get to that after his nap.  And, as I was shutting the door, he said to me, "did we have a fun day, Mom?"  I smiled, kissed him again, and replied, "we sure did, Michael." 

 I love spending the day with him, and I think he feels the same way.  

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I love it how he thinks of his babies all the time.

I think white will look great on a boy or girl!

4 Gobblers said...

I can't wait to hear what Josh has to say about the gift he was supposed to bring! :) BTW, LLBean has great little bundly things for babies. I got one that was blue and green for Clare. She always looked like a boy! But then, Daniel was able to wear it, too.

Anonymous said...

What a precious little guy you have there Kate...so sweet...this story really shows it...he wants to get gifts for his pals and make sure that you had a fun day and are taken care of :)

Love
Amy