Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Baby Moved!

Last night I did a bunch of exercises suggested by our doula to help relieve the back and rib pain that I was experiencing yesterday.  I also took a warm bath in an attempt to relax my back muscles and intercostal muscles last evening.  After all of that, I felt better for about an hour, or so.  Sure enough the pain came back and stayed -- ALL NIGHT LONG.  At one point I said to Josh, "There's no way I'm strong enough to have this baby without pain meds, if I can't even take a little back/rib pain. Heck, there's no way I'm strong enough to last four more WEEKS if this pain persists!"  Poor Josh wasn't really sure what to say, except that he was sorry.  

I got up a number of times throughout the night, trying to lay in different positions and trying to get the baby to shift.  Michael got up around 5:30 this morning, and I climbed into his bed to help him get back to sleep.  He went right to sleep while I continued to suffer through the rib pain.  At one point, I thought I was going to start crying.  I fought back the tears and felt the baby move to my left side. And, the pain was gone! I said a prayer of thanks (honestly, I did), and then went right to sleep for another three hours.  For the most part, I have felt pretty good today.  There have been a few bouts of back/rib pain, but nothing like what I have been feeling non-stop since Saturday afternoon.

Today I registered at the hospital AND I packed "the bag"!  I also met with our doula, which was extremely helpful.  She's a dear friend of ours, and I'm so thankful for her support right now.  As much as I love and appreciate my doctors, she has a lot more to offer in terms of working through pain and discomfort. When I talked to the doctor yesterday about the pain, he smiled sympathetically and didn't offer one suggestion. However, when I talked to our doula, she sounded concerned and was full of ideas to relieve the discomfort.  

We're getting closer and closer...Next up--car seat inspection by the fire department this week and batteries installed in the sacred bouncy seat!  

4 comments:

4 Gobblers said...

So glad to hear the pain has dissipated a bit! That can't be fun! Give me a call sometime and we'll go for a walk - walk that baby out! :)

Amanda said...

I hope the baby stays in the position that dosen't cause any pain.

You are moving along and getting everything done....sounds like you are doing great!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you got some relief and were able to catch a few Z's - I can only imagine that the combination is not an easy one (lack of sleep, tired anyway, discomfort...). You are almost there!!!

Smiles,
Amy

Noelle said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! You are so close Kate! I wish you the very best (and no pain!) with the remainder of your journey.

Love,
Noelle