Tuesday, September 23, 2008

38 Week Update

"So, Katie, do you think the baby has moved downward?", asks the wonderful Dr. L.  


My response?  

After laughing, "No.  I can guarantee you that this baby has not moved one bit since last week. In fact, my ribs are splitting in half, Dr. L."  

The doctor then performed the exam, and declared that the baby has not made an attempt to drop since last week.  There have been no changes whatsoever from last week's appointment.  Honestly, I am not surprised.  I think I would have a good idea if the baby dropped or if "lightning" had occurred over the past week.

Thankfully, the appointment went very well.  Aside from the lack of progress in labor department; the baby's heart rate is great, my blood pressure is fine, my weight gain is right on target, and the baby is growing just as s/he should be!  : ) There are so many reasons to be smiling right now.  And, we are!

The doctor and I did discuss the VBAC/cesarean situation in greater detail, yet again.  I made sure to ask today if he would be performing the section, if we get to that point.  And, thankfully, he said that "yes" he will most likely be performing the surgery for us.  (Hurray!!) Knowing that he will be the surgeon, makes me feel much more comfortable with the whole situation. He has this calming, humble spirit, and is a wonderful surgeon.  He did point out, though, that I am still a good candidate for a VBAC.  Although, he doesn't think that I will be going into labor this week due to the results of the exam.  And, sure enough, as soon as those words left his lips, he stated that he could very well be wrong and that one never knows what could happen over the course of a week.  

I treated myself to a massage after the appointment today, which was worth every PENNY.  My back and ribs are feeling so much better for the moment.  Part of me is wondering if the baby has shifted or if I am just feeling better because my muscles are relaxed.  Either way, I'm just thankful that the pain is gone for the moment.  When my neck and shoulders were massaged, I thought I was going to fall off the table in pain!  : )  Apparently, my shoulders and neck are "a little" tight.  I'm sure that those muscles are very tense because of the discomfort that I've been experiencing over the past few weeks.   The baby enjoyed the massage!  S/He began to move as soon as the masseuse started to work on my feet.  It was a sweet moment!  




3 comments:

Michele said...

I love reading about how you're feeling! Your writing is so entertaining! I'm glad you're feeling better, and I can't wait to find out if it's a she or a he!
Have a great day!

Amanda said...

That's great you have some relief from your discomfort.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to treat yourself to a massage! I'm happy it helped and that you are feeling better sweetheart! Love ya!

Amy