From time to time, I watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight. Last week I caught an episode on "Discipline". And, I'm happy to say that I really, truly learned a little something about how to discipline this little rascal of ours! As I've mentioned before, we're a time out family. : ) Michael has a special time out chair on the first floor, as well as on the second floor. Time-outs generally involve an escalation of emotion (on both parts), with lots of screaming, crying, kicking, spitting, and so on. It's UG-GGGG-LY!
As I was watching Jon and Kate, they showed how they do time outs. And it's soooo much more effective than the way that I have been implementing time outs. They have a time out corner in every room, and instead of making a big production of giving a time out, they just simply say, "Go to the corner." Of course, the child still cries, kicks, and screams, but it seems to be much less of a production.
I've been working on this with Michael over the past few weeks, and it really-really-really works! Why, just this evening I gave him a little time out and made him sit on the rug in front of the screened in porch! There was no crying, no carrying him to the time out chair. He sat quietly, and then got up after three minutes. I like the idea of having a time out spot in each room, for whatever reason it's just easier to say, "Go sit in the corner, RIGHT NOW!!!" than to ensure that he's sitting on the time out chair for three minutes (or, until he's quiet, calm, and apologetic.)
Josh distributes time outs without hesitation, and I'm learning to implement his strategy, as well. I give Michael way too many chances. Now that I've learned the "corner technique", maybe I can turn a corner with discipline. Let's hope, anyway.


4 comments:
Yeah, those darn kids can be rascals at times. Thanks for posting this! Zack is too old for time out (we just "thretan" to take away his PSP and he calms down), but when its our turn to have a little one, this is good advise.
I watch the show sometimes, too, and really like how they are so no-nonsense about everything. Glad you found something helpful. Time outs worked REALLY well for us.
I LOVE Jon & Kate!!! Great show!!!
I too give "too many chances". I am a sucker :( Maybe it's just part of what makes us women!!
I am glad that the corner is working well for you guys!! I think I mught have to give it a try!!
I had never really thought about it (for obvious reasons), but this is a great idea...it is like the light bulb in my head went "ah-ha"
I'm glad it's going well :)
Amy
Post a Comment