Tuesday, April 29, 2008

So Silly!


Well.  It's time for the AB 10k!  And, for some ridiculous reason I still feel nervous.  I'm totally OUT of the racing scene, there's no question!  However, I still feel nervous and I'm foolishly creating little goals for the race. Each time I talk about the race to someone, I mentally shave a minute or two off of my goal time.  Part of me thinks that I shouldn't even do the race if I can't set aside my competitive streak, but that's definitely not fun.  I have tried numerous times to get Josh to run with me, but I don't think that would work, even if he agreed. He's too fast and is too much of a sprinter.  We'd get in an argument after the first mile, I have a feeling.  


As always, I love this race and I am so happy that I'm still running and that I'll be able to participate.  When I was pregnant with Michael I was just weeks away from delivery and had no desire to run in this 10k; though I was extremely jealous of my fellow runners!  Also, around this point with my pregnancy with Michael running three was a tremendous struggle.  I got these awful side stitch cramp things.  Which made me feel reminiscent of running during middle school gym class after a lunch of 'tator tots (GROSS!) and chocolate milk (BARF!).   It will be interesting to see how the race goes for me and this babe.  It's fun to think that this is the second race that this baby will have run with me....  ; )

In other news, Michael related, I am becoming completely frustrated with the night-time routine.  Every evening he gets out of his bed at least four to five times a night.  It's not the middle of the night, it is as soon as we lay him down.  I'm trying to figure out some sort of consequence that will make him want to stay in the bed.  Time out seems silly(-he's getting out of going to sleep, which he WANTS!), we don't spank, my stern voice makes him laugh; so I'd say we're kind of up a creek right?  However, I may have (at least for tonight) gotten him where it hurts:  no cars (Wing-go, Leak Less, Lightning McQueen, Dinco Blue, DJ---all from the Cars movie)  tomorrow if he gets out of his bed one more time.  He initially laughed when I mentioned this, and then he realized that I was serious.  I asked him if he likes his new car- "Leak Less".  He said yes, and then I told him again--Leak Less will be taken by mom if you get up one more time.  So far, so good.  I absolutely refuse to start the whole laying down with him, rubbing his back, talking to him, etc, etc, to get him to sleep.  

Maybe I'm onto something....Let's hope, at least!

(The photo is from last year's race--a bunch of friends from school ran in this 10k.  We all had matching shirts!)

4 comments:

4 Gobblers said...

I LOVE the picture! What a great memory! I'm sure we'll see you at the race - three of us this year!

The night-time thing must be frustrating. For your sanity's sake, I'm hoping taking the cars away will nip it in the bud. Stick to your guns! I'm thinking about you!

Melis B said...

You are SO cute!!

I am SO nervous for Saturday, I haven't run all month and now the 10k is satruday already. Ugh. AND....why do I have to be so competitive??

See you then....

Hugs,
Melis

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the race Kate! I hope you two do wonderfully!

I think if you stick to what you tell the little man, he'll figure out real quick that you are serious :)

Luv,
Amy

The Sweet Family said...

Cute story! Sounds like little MB is testing mommy. Stay strong with his cars.

Good luck on the 10k. Remember, just finishing is a HUGE accomplishment.

Take care!