Saturday, March 01, 2008

Sneaky!

We've now told about eight people about our pregnancy! I'm sure that number will grow exponentially by the end of the weekend, with the way that our families like to talk.
Last night Michael and I had dinner with my parents and my youngest brother, Clay. We went to a favorite Mexican restaurant. When Clay and my dad got to the table, Clay began to talk about the night that Josh and I announced our pregnancy with Michael. I was totally caught off guard comment, even though I should not have been. When we told our families about our first pregnancy, we went to this same restaurant, and we even sat at the SAME table! I wasn't really sure what to do with myself, so I began to fidget and squirm. My dad then began to talk about that night, how excited they were, and so on. He then jokingly says, "So, do you have something to tell us?" He and Clay just laughed, they really had no idea! Later in the conversation, I mention that I wasn't in school on Thursday. My mom's ears perk up and she stares right at my water glass and says, "YOU ARE PREGNANT! Aren't you???" Clay and my dad are half paying attention at this point, and I, of course, say yes. I told them about the ultra-sound and the heartbeat (182 beats per minute!) and the doctor's report . At this point, I could FINALLY really talk about the half marathon and why I ran it slowly! They argued that I wasn't slow, but I had to point out that my last time was seven minutes faster-that's a lot to me. It was a great surprise for them and a relief for me, now I can finally start whining about being REALLY tired!
We've also told a few other important people....
This morning, I met my usual running group at the park. As we were finishing up, a friend said to me, "We've just been so worried about you. We feel like we've lost touch with you. Rosie and I keep thinking that you're pregnant and that's why you've been MIA." I laughed and then said, "I am, Sharon!" She doubled over in laughter and joy, it was such a fun moment! Tomorrow, I am planning on running with Rosie and I can't wait to tell her. When I go to bed at 8:30 (sometimes earlier...) I don't have much time to make phone calls or email!
And then, Michael and Mary Jane.
I scanned in our ultrasound pictures this morning and saved them as baby #2. Josh made me create a new email account, using the name fifthkh. So, I sent them a sweet email from the fifthkh. : ) It read something like, " Dear Granddad and Mango, I am just about to turn nine weeks on Monday. My birthday is going to be around October 6. I thought you might enjoy these photos of me! Love, Baby #2." I'm sure they were a little surprised to read that email this morning and to receive the photos!
There are so many people that I am eager to tell, but I kind of wish that we could have waited a bit longer because we are still very early in the pregnancy. The doctor did say that everything is looking good. As I mentioned the baby's heart rate is 182 beats per minute.
We talked a bit about running and he is extremely supportive. Initially, though, I believe I caught him off guard about my mileage. He said something like, "You know ... running for like thirty minutes, or so...that's great cardiovascular exercise." So I then followed up by asking if I should not run over a certain number of miles. His response was that they are not that scientific and should be doing about 75% of what I normally do right now and to keep my heart rate below 140 bpm. I'm totally fine with that number (75%), it gives me an excuse to sleep in an extra few days of the week....

0 comments: