Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Give him the crackers.


It's undeniable.  Josh and Michael have had this bond since the day Michael B was born.  Josh is a wonderful father-he loves to teach Michael about animals and dinosaurs, he loves to read to Michael,  he loves to show him new places.  Josh gives Michael his bath each night and usually reads the bedtime story to Michael while I finish the dishes.
So, when this time of year comes around, Michael and I struggle a little bit.  We miss our guy.  Our support.  Michael had a meltdown of sorts both last night and this morning, over going to bed and over having crackers for breakfast.  Every night Michael is in bed between seven and seven-thirty. However, if Josh is not home at that time, Michael waits and waits and waits to hear the garage door open.  Last night Michael waited past his bedtime for his Daddy.  When Josh came upstairs, Michael excitedly told him about his day.  He talked about how he got into trouble with his Mom, he talked about his cars, his punishment for talking back in the bath tub, and so on.  He spilled his guts basically.  Michael was so happy to see his Dad that it took him another HOUR to get to bed.  
This change in routine last night, of course (!) changed the morning routine.  Michael was a utter bear this morning.  He was weepy, he was tired, and he was missing his Dad.  It was a sad sight.  We had a bit of a blow up over having Cheerios versus Cheese It's for breakfast.  Naturally, I was pushing Michael to eat the cereal and he wanted the crackers.  He cried and cried over me not giving him the crackers. As a result, I scooped him up, rubbed his back, and rocked him.  He didn't get the crackers, didn't finish the cereal, but he had a better start to his day.  The trip to daycare went well, and he was SO HAPPY to see his friends this morning.  
When I told the story to a friend today, she said sometimes you have to pick your battles, Katie.  Next time, I'd just give him the crackers.  And while, I definitely agree that I need to pick my battles, (I've definitely learned that from teaching middle school!) I feel like it's important for me to set a standard for discipline.  Josh isn't able to be at home as much right now, and I need to be able to handle these temper tantrums and establish the rules of the roost.  What would you do?  Give him the crackers?  Or, would you trust that the sitter would give him a little something if he was really that hungry later in the morning?  It's a tough call, I think.  
Oh, and tonight was awesome.  Michael was happy all evening, he went to bed without a whimper, and didn't tell me to straighten up!  Getting back into our little routine helps, for sure.  

5 comments:

Melis B said...

You are a super fabulous mom and I"m sure what you felt was the best in that situation was indeed the best! It is tough....picking your battles, I always want to be right and the boss, but sometimes it's just plain easier. :)

Plus, you might have it a little tougher b/c your little man is so dang smart!!!! Tough now...great later.

Give him a big ole kiss from the Queen of Dekes.

Love ya,
Melis

Anonymous said...

I have had that battle before . . . I have to admit . . . I gave in and gave him crackers.

M the Mommy said...

Wow, that is a tough one. I personally think that there are very few hard and fast rules when it comes to parenting. I think you made the right decision for you and MB on that day in that moment. Maybe next time you won't have the energy to fight the battle and you will let him have the crackers. You are a great mom, Katie. And the fact that you even think about these things means that you are parenting from a place of love and understanding.

The Sweet Family said...

AAHH, I remember those days! Something my pediatrician told me a long time ago, your child(ren) may not eat exactly what you want them to eat for breakfast but at least they have something in their stomachs and they will "burn" it better during the morning hours.

He is such a cutie!

4 Gobblers said...

Not sure what to say on this one! I know you're doing a great job! I'm big on the "healthy" stuff, so it's a tough decision. Daniel used to eat cereal without milk. Would that work? Isn't parenting such a fun adventure??