No one has ever become poor by giving.
This evening Michael and I went shopping for the angel tree families that we have adopted through church and my school. It was really hard to not buy lots and lots for the family from my school. I want to dress this little girl up like I would if she were my daughter. You know, a warm soft, bright, fleece jacket with a cute little turtle neck underneath. Or, a pair of cargo/khaki type pants with an American Eagle-ish sweat shirt. I had to settle for the basics, though. Jeans, a pair of khaki's, and a couple, cute cotton shirts. I'll be honest, though, I want to go back to Target and buy that fleece with the turtle neck. She'd look even more precious than she already does....When I got my bill this evening, I felt a little bit guilty for spending so much money ; but then I thought of the smile and the warmth that these new clothes will bring to these families. And the guilty feeling quickly changed to a feeling of gratitude for having the opportunity to give to others.
Michael enjoyed the shopping trip. He noticed anything and everything with the "Cars" paraphernalia. It was ridiculous! He also showed me exactly what he would like for Christmas; CARS, CARS, and CARS. I think that's probably all that we'll give him for Christmas. Just some little matchbox (actually, make it Hot Rod because they're $.97) cars. Matchbox cars are like $2.99...I think he'll be in heaven on Christmas Day....I know he will, actually.
Giving sure is fun. As John D. Rockefeller Jr. says, "Think of giving not as a duty but as a privilege."
Happy shopping, everyone! And, please go find an angel whether it's through a school or a church, if you haven't already.


5 comments:
i like your quotes Katie
m
I love the way you always associate quotes into your life. You are a fantabulous writer and I live to read your blog.
You are such a sweet and caring person. I'm going tomorrow to do my church angel too. :)
See you soon,
Melis
Katie,
It warms my heart just to know you are in the world. You are so generous and caring. You are an angel everyday, not just during Christmas. You embody the true spirit of Christmas.
XO - Meleah
thank you.
Post a Comment