"Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world." - John Milton

Just so you know... I haven't lost hope, yet, of following Meleah's plan. Today is supposed to be a blog post dedicated towards gratitude.
This year, due to my job change, I am finding that each day I am keenly aware of the blessings in my life. And while, these blessings are certainly not the newest and most fashionable purse or pair of jeans or fanciest TV; they are basic, everyday gifts that my family has been given. Basic, everyday blessings that we frequently take for granted.
My eyes have been opened to how the poor live in our society this year. I've realized, that the four (including the yappy dog...)of us are blessed beyond measure. Not only do we have food at night; but we also have heat and water in our home. Unfortunately, this is a lot more than what some of my student's have in their homes.
It's been a tough year for me, I'll be honest. If I could give up my home and move our family into the Peace Corps or something, I'd do it. Josh is holding me back, however. I have pleaded with him to forgo Christmas for our family this year, so that we could give that money away. Josh says that he feels like Michael needs a Christmas, though. And, I (begrudgingly) agree.
Most evenings, when I say prayers with Michael, I make sure that we give thanks for our food, for our home, for water to bathe; but somehow this just doesn't seem to be enough....In the meantime I'll pray for guideness and wisdom on how to help those living in poverty around us.
So, tonight, I am grateful for:
~Our warm home.
~Warm water to bathe our son.
~Electricity to make him dinner.
~And, the education that our parent's provided us through their own personal sacrifices so that we could lead this lifestyle and provide for our son.
What are you grateful for??? (Leave a comment...if you'd like...and, remember, you can always be anonymous...)
"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."
- John F Kennedy
- John F Kennedy

2 comments:
That is a very touching and thoughtful post. Perhaps you and Josh could do peace corps when Michael (and any other potential kids) are grown up! There are lots of opportunities out there for couples and even for older people anywhere from short to longer-term periods! :) It is wonderful to be thankful and reflective on even the smallest things that we do tend to take for granted. Kudos to you for already teaching your son these things :)
I am grateful for you, Katie....truly a bright light in this world, a mover and shaker, a dreamer, and a doer.....and I love our plan for Christmas this year. It will be so fun and feel so good. And yes Michael B and Amanda will have Christmas in myriad ways. I am grateful for this life and the opportunity to love and be loved by family and friends, I am grateful for my refrigerator and the ability to buy fresh food, and for the furnace, and hot water, and for my beloved Michael, Greg, Ang, Amanda, Dan, Jennifer, Josh, Michael B, thanks everyone for being here.....Sooo much to be thankful for....
Post a Comment