Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Child and Five Years Later.

Oh, to be young and sprightly again!

About an hour ago, I got home from the 20 mile race and googled my previous time. I ran this race about five years ago, and haven't done it since then. In my mind, I was thinking that I was pretty close to running the same that I did five years ago. Ha. It seems that I am, sadly, mistaken. Five years ago, I ran this race about eight minutes faster. Ummm...."HELLO, KATE!!" That's a lot faster!

Don't you worry, I do have my excuses. Here's a "CONDENSED" list of my excuses, in no particular order:

1. I have a child. A sweet, beautiful, happy, healthy little boy. : )
2. A man (a fellow runner) yelled at me about a mile and a half into the race because I was wearing "EARPHONES." He was rude. I was rattled.
3. Just in case I wasn't aware of the rule, a woman ( a fellow runner) then yelled at me...because I was wearing "EARPHONES". She was also rude. I was rattled, again.
4. My necklace got caught in the blasted earphones, which I put around my neck so that I didn't offend anyone else. I had to stop. Rip the necklace from the earphones and then carry on.
5. Josh has all this "grunge" music on the Ipod. I can't stand it, so I stopped AGAIN to change the playlist.
6. My shoes are old, I bought them in May. That's a lot of miles...way too many miles, in fact, for a pair of running shoes.
7. My feet, especially my nails are now throbbing.
8. I didn't look up my previous time, so I just gave myself a three hour time limit. (Hey, it worked..)
9. I got up at four, which is my new wake up time these days.
10. And, well...I'm a little bit older, more mature, and so on...

Actually, despite my whining, I am very happy with the race. My legs feel good. I really felt strong the second half the race and I did what I set out to do; which was to run 20 miles in less than three hours. How could I possibly be disappointed with the eight minute time differential? This was a fantastic way to prepare for the marathon, it's so important to practice focusing on running a long distance before race day. I prefer the chunking method myself. I like to break the course up in quarters. I seriously doubt my marathon time will be eight minutes slower this year, so I'm really not concerned. I was right on target, for my marathon pace. No worries. : )

As for the blasted Ipod, there was a "RULE" that EARPHONES! were not allowed today. And, in my defense, it's a well known fact that this rule exists FOR EVERY RACE. So that, in the event of a bike or a car mowing you over; a lawsuit is not involved. Like I would sue someone for MY negligence. After I was chastised by my fellow runners, I thought to myself; I should have said, "Peace be with you." That's what I would have been saying at that point in time if I was at home.

Today's run was really wonderful, honestly. Ignore the moaning and groaning. I am always filled with a sense of gratitude for my health and for having the opportunity to share this experience with such dear friends.

And, now, please give yourself a pat on the back for reading this novel of a blog entry! I hope you weren't bored with all this rambling about running. Michael B stories will resume shortly!

3 comments:

4 Gobblers said...

Too funny! This is why I have to have Tom run with me -- I can't have EARPHONES! :)

Melis B said...

Who cares what other runners said to you....you ran 20 miles! Hello...that's huge in itself. Say to yourself "Congrats Kate...I got up and ran when most people are still in bed (like Melissa)" :)

I'm proud of you.

See you Saturday!!
~M

Kandi said...

20 miles is quite an accomplishment! I'm going for a 15K tomorrow and it's the longest distance I've ever done.