
Just finished a wonderful novel by Catherine Ryan Hyde, author of Pay it Forward.
Here is one of my favorite excerpts:
" He can't. He can't know that, Barb. You can't tell him. I mean it. He hurts for me, Barb. He hurts when I hurt. Telling him I'm getting beat up would be like beating him up."
This line is spoken by one of the book's narrators, Leonard. He is describing the love and empathy that his "adoptive" father has for him, while he is struggling with school and living with another family.
These sentences grabbed me last evening because I feel that way about Michael and my brother's so often. I'm the oldest of four and the only girl, so my brothers have always felt like my children.
This book is deep, obviously. It also, though, tells this beautiful story of adoption and the devotion of a mother even when her life has passed.
Check it out. It's a good read and hits home, especially if you are a parent.
To Winter
5 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment