Monday, February 19, 2007

Thanks, But NO Thanks!

Yes, this is the second post of the day... I just had to write about this "event", so I could remember and laugh...



After going through the ordeal of hanging the curtains in our bedroom with Josh a few weeks ago I decided to call a "custom" window treatment/decorator woman. Not because we really need custom window treatments, but this way I could have someone give me some ideas about fabric and have someone hang the darn things. The appointment was scheduled for this afternoon. And this is how it went:

Duncan is barking and scratching the basement door, I'm reluctant to put him in the crate with the shock collar. I don't know if it would have a doubling effect. So, I sit at the kitchen table with this decorator lady and we pick out some "valances". We talk, shoot the breeze, and then I received my "estimate". OH MY GOODNESS...those were projected to be THE MOST EXPENSIVE curtains E-V-E-R. THREE THOUSAND bucks for some dinky, little valances in the family room. Okay, they had a "swag", which I don't really even like...and then, the big window over the door--SEVEN HUNDRED!

Josh just received a voice mail that said something like, "find a handyman, Josh, cause we're buying the curtains online." Hanging rods is a source of stress for Josh, so I'll pay someone to hang the rods for us; but we, simply, will not pay THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS for a foot of fabric that barely even covers the window. I am giggling to myself because twenty bucks for a panel doesn't seem so bad, after my meeting today!

She kind of laughed when I told her how much we were willing to spend, and I definitely kind of laughed when she told me how much it was going to cost....And that price, was just a PROJECTION, we all know "projections" are much, much more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bert's Home Solutions has drill -
will travel. Will even bring Aunt Doris ! (and sewing machine)
Love Aunt A

katie k-h said...

LET'S SET A DATE FOR THE SUMMER...

J. Michael Hobert said...

let's make it like a barn raising.. count oun us

Harvey Sebastian said...

Joe is REALLY handy with his drill. Last week he put up 3 $15 panels from Target for our sliding door/window. Joe was especially happy that I didn't give in to the $500 projected cost of stationary panels from Calico Corners. Window Treatments....OY!!