Thursday, December 28, 2006

One Smart Cookie

Michael had his eighteen month check-up today. Not planning ahead on my part, I scheduled the appointment for three pm--nap time! After eating lunch with Josh, Michael and I tooled around town before heading to the ped's office. When we got to the office, I saw a family that I have known for years, so we chatted and talked about their children heading off to college next year. It was a nice, but quick visit.

Michael and I then walked into the office, he was in a great mood because of the "much needed" attention he received from our friends. And then, he saw the nurse, sitting behind the desk. ACCKK!! He cried and cried. Begged for the door and begged for the car. Clutching to me, we walked back to room 3, where I had to undress him for the height and weight check. He screamed and screamed throughout the meeting with the nurse. I couldn't understand this distress on Michael's part; she is a really sweet nurse and has been there for us since Michael was a week old! She checked the most recent records and told me that she gave Michael his last shot-the flu shot. Wow. How could he remember that??? The nurse said that many parents have told her that when they get off the exit to get to the office, the child will often start to cry with anticipation of shots and the scary doctor's visit. It shouldn't amaze me, but it does!!

The remainder of the visit went very well. Michael is healthy and our ped notes that he growing just as he should be. I didn't check about growth charts...the crying is a bit distracting and makes conversing difficult. I barely remember height and weight --22 (maybe 23)lbs, and 30 (or 31??) inches.

I'm doing better, still coughing though. We had a wonderful visit with my Grandmother, my Aunt Doris, my Aunt Audrey, and the rest of the gang. I'll update on that visit tomorrow, with pictures!!

0 comments: