Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Slow Down...You Move TOO Fast!


Here we are one month past the birthday of Nicholas Clay. How is that even possible? This little angel already has rolls on the inside of his legs and under his chin, and he is quickly growing out of the newborn/preemie clothes! He is even starting to smile at us. Last evening he smiled while Granddad H. was singing him a lullabye. With Michael it seemed like the first four weeks were an eternity. (I feel like a terrible mother for writing that sentence, but let me explain.) I literally had no clue as to how to take care of him and I was really struggling with nursing and the lack of sleep. Michael must have sensed my issues because he pretty much cried the whole first three months of his life. It was a struggle for all of us.

This time around, I kind of know how to take care of a baby. And, nursing is going incredibly well. (Hallejuah!!)Every time I look at those rolls of fat, I smile to myself. The lack of sleep isn't killing me like it did the first time around, though it has taken a toll on my brain. Here's an example: Yesterday Michael had to write a letter of apology to the sitter for not being a good listener. We showed Josh the letter when he got home. He remarked that the letter was a great idea, even though I misspelled the word "listener" in every sentence! (Guess that one is going in the trash!) I also thought Nicholas slept through the night two nights ago when I glanced at the clock to nurse him. The clock had a five in the time, so I figured it was five something. When I got him out of his crib, I realized the clock read 1:53. No wonder I was still soooo tired! : )

We are continuing to do a lot with this mom's club that I found in our neighborhood. It's awesome!! I've met more neighbors in the past two weeks than I have during the whole two years that we have lived here. I am finally feeling like we belong to this community, which is great. It's so important for Michael to know the kids down the street and to have neighborhood friends. And, most importantly, the weepiness and crying for no reason at all has passed. Thank goodness! The first few weeks of being home were rough for all of us. I'm feeling like we're starting to figure things out now. I am even able to go to the grocery store and cook a balanced meal for the three of us! ( I think I should have milked the no cooking for a little bit longer, though)

Each day continues to get better and better with raising these two precious boys!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

4 Gobblers said...

Nicholas is SOOOO cute! Thanks for letting me hold him for an hour yesterday!! It was great to see you! You look awesome! Please call again soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that the adjustment is going well! I can only imagine how the lack of sleep can take a toll :) The boys are both so precious!