Wednesday, October 08, 2008

A Reality Check from Grandma.



One of the very best aspects of taking a leave of absence for a year from teaching is the opportunity to spend more time with my Grandparents.  While I haven't been able to get to my Grandmother who lives a hour and a half away this summer, I have every intention of visiting her and my Aunt as much as possible this year.  Once I have healed from the surgery and once things have settled a bit with the new baby, we'll be cruising on up to see her, as well.  Currently, though, Michael and I have tried to visit my Grandparents here in town once a week.  Due to a variety of reasons, we haven't been able to lunch with my in-town Grandparents lately.  So after I picked Michael up from the sitter today, we decided to pay them a visit.  

My Grandmother bought me a brand new, comfy robe and a new pair of really cute pajamas.  When she handed over these great presents, we got on the discussion of what I should wear while in the hospital.  I mentioned that I packed some of my own pajamas to wear, even though with Michael's birth I just wore the hospital gowns my entire visit.  In her most southern voice, she emphatically motioned across her body and said, "Awww, HONEY!!!  If I were you, I would NOT wear your own pajamas!  Remember!?! You are going to be a MESS ALL OVER!!!"  

(Great.  I must have forgotten.......)

In a deflated voice, I conceded.  She's right. I am going to be a "mess all over" in a few days.  And even though I felt a little deflated, she still made me laugh.  Her gestures, her voice, and her honesty, made me chuckle.  I suppose it was time for a reality check from Grandma.


All three of us are getting very excited, to say the least!  (Though, we have yet to decide upon a name for either gender!)  This evening I talked to Michael a teensy bit about my stay in the hospital.  In his sweetest voice, he asked if I was going to come back.  While I could have cried a bucket of tears, I replied in a firm and unwavering voice.  "Of course I will come back, angel.  I will just be gone for a little bit."  

I'm hoping to make tomorrow a very special day for the little guy.  We're going to a race in the morning, that some of my girlfriends are organizing.  We'll probably go out to lunch, go to story time at the library, AND buy a present for the baby from Michael.  I can't wait to take him to pick out a stuffed animal for the baby.  I'm taking him to the boutique that "Moo" came from three years ago.  (For my sake, I hope there aren't any "duplicate" Moo's because I have a feeling that the shopping trip will result in a temper tantrum!)  

One last belly shot tomorrow!  : ) 

3 comments:

Melis B said...

Aren't Grandma's great? :)

I can't wait to hear about the last appt. I am still hoping your water breaks today!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. :)

Hugs,
Melis

4 Gobblers said...

What a great story! You are soooo lucky to still have your grandparents. I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I know everything will go great tomorrow. Can't wait to hear the news!!

Anonymous said...

Your grandmother is just so precious :)

What a sweet question from MB. I'm sure it is all a little confusing and he only used to having you at home.

I can't wait!!!

Love
Amy