Monday, September 29, 2008

This pot is not going to boil....

Someone referred to me this weekend as a "pot of water, ready to boil."  


Well.  

I appreciate the analogy, I really do. But the boiling?  It's not gonna happen, nor is it in the process of happening.  Today the baby and I went to our weekly appointment.  The nurse asked me if I wanted the doctor to check for dilation or effacement, and I politely declined.  The baby is nice and high in my rib cage and is quite comfortable at the moment. Why bother checking at this point?  

Everyone around me thinks that each phone call is going to be "the baby call, "  and it isn't!! Poor Josh's blood pressure rises a little bit each time I call him at work.   Usually, I just have something to say about Michael or the news, rarely anything baby related.  I haven't had one single sign that the baby is ready to make his/her debut, not one; no pressure, bleeding, gushing, cramping, none of it.  Aside from the rib pain, I'm feeling pretty good!  Every now and then my right leg feels a little numb, but that could have to do with the positioning of the baby. Our babies really like lounging about in my uterus.  And, I really think this one likes the running and walking!  : )   

The doctor today said to me a number of times, "If you think you're going into labor, just come on into the hospital. And, we'll be here."  I politely smiled, thinking to myself, "whatever."  The appointment went really well.  The heart rate of the baby continues to be in the 130's, today it was 138.  The baby is measuring at 36 weeks, even though I am 39 weeks along.  There's no need to worry about the "off" measurement, it just means that the baby is likely going to be under the "norm" in size.  And, thank goodness for that!  I can't even imagine how badly my ribs would hurt if I were carrying around a ten pound baby.  The fundal height has increased a 1/2 inch since last week, which indicates that the baby is still growing.  My weight hasn't changed at all over the past three weeks, and my blood pressure is completely average.  So, we're very healthy and very grateful to God for such a wonderful pregnancy!  

At the end of the appointment today the doc said, "So, Katie!! We'll either be seeing you in the hospital later this week OR back here in the office early next week!"  I laughed and said, "I'll be seeing you next week, then!"  We both chuckled to ourselves.  

My phone then started to ring off the hook as soon as I stepped out of the office door...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy the appointment went well...I can't wait to meet the newest addition to the K-H's...it is so exciting!!! I look forward to finding out boy/girl and what name you all pick...hearing the stories of MB with the baby...lots of fun things to look forward to. Lots of love to you sugar!

Amy

Anonymous said...

So great to hear things are going so well. Your on the count down now. Baby K-H is coming whether he/she is ready or not :)) Take care, and look forward to seeing all of you soon!!

Love you, Melissa

Anonymous said...

If you are measuring small and the baby is high it could be a positioning thing - you should check out spinningbabies.com