
The appointment today was, disappointing and discouraging. It's looking like the hope of having a VBAC is dwindling. There has been no cervical change at all from last week, which means that we're running out of time. The doctor confirmed my thoughts that this pregnancy is heading down the same path as Michael's, meaning that it's unlikely that I will progress enough prior to the scheduled c-section date. Neither dilation or effacement happens over night, according to my doctor, and typically a progression is seen each week when the body is preparing for labor. If I had not been down this road before, I would still be hopeful. So, I'm feeling disappointed. We still have four weeks, so I haven't given up hope of a VBAC. It's just very unlikely. And, that's okay. A healthy baby is much more important than a VBAC.
Josh and I do have so much to be thankful for, that is for certain. The baby's heart rate sounded great today. The doctor was able to find it immediately. And, the baby is growing and putting on layers of fat by the day, which is wonderful!
After the appointment Josh and I went out for lunch, and we made a list of all of the good things that will come from the (likely) scheduled cesarean. Here's some of our list:
1. Our favorite doctor will perform the surgery, he delivered Michael. We both adore him and his bedside manner. I completely trust him and he will likely let our doula be with us during the surgery, which was very comforting with Michael.
2. Insurance! My insurance will change on Sept 30, which means better hospital coverage!
3. Michael will go to his sitter's on the baby's birthday, and Josh will hopefully be able to pick him up so that we can have some quiet "family of four" time before our families come to visit. I really want Michael to meet the baby without a room full of people. I think he's going to be overwhelmed with seeing me in the hospital bed, so I really want things to be low-key when he meets the baby.
4. The baby will be a perfect 10! ; ) Born on the tenth day of the tenth month of the year. Now how many people can claim that?!
5. My brothers and my sister in law will be here on the birthday. Daniel and Patty were not able to meet Michael until he was three or four weeks, but this time they will get to meet the baby on the actual birthday! James will hopefully be able to pop in before heading to work. And, Clay doesn't have a home game that weekend, so he's free to head home.
6. I kind of know what to expect this time around, which is somewhat comforting. The staples, the catheter, the prep work before surgery, and the time spent in the recovery room, won't be as shocking this time around.
There's so much to be thankful for, and we truly are looking forward to the baby's birth.
***Talked to my Grandmother F. this evening, and she was thrilled about the proposed c-section date because it was her mother's birthday! She told me not to name the baby after her mother, though. Her name was Alpheous Barnes Clay! How's that for an "old name"?!?!? She was actually named after her father who died a month before she was born of typhoid fever. Barnes is was her Grandmother's maiden name. And, obviously Clay was her last name. ***
6 comments:
It's so refreshing how positive you are!!
Just hang in there Katie! No matter how he/she decides to come, just know that it was the right way and meant to be!!
You look great and I hope you are getting LOTS of rest! You can NEVER have too much of that before a new baby ;)
Hey Kate!
I love what you and Josh did at lunch. I have so many things to say about that and not enough room, but overall I am so proud of you all. I know that you so wanted the VBAC this time (and is still can happen!!!), but to focus on the positive is just so freeing and peaceful. Everything happens as it is designed...love you!
Amy
Sounds like you have a great attitude about everything. The outcome is the same no matter what happens. You will have a happy, healthy addition to your family. Just keep your mind on that, and how he/she gets here won't really matter :))
It was great to see you Friday! Take care - Melissa
Looks like a good thankful list! Don't give up hope about the VBAC, a lot can happen over 4 weeks. But if things don't progress like they should, at least you already have a back-up plan in action.
Remember, your body is telling you this is the best way for Baby2kh to be born.
I love your list of "conveniences" however, I don't know about Alpheous but Barnes is a cute name!
Continue to stay focused!
Have a great week!
Katie- I think that you guys are looking at this sitation with an open mind and heart. I realize that you really wanted a VBAC but let me tell you from experience that you are right about knowing what to expect. I HAD to have a c-section with Trenton and the spinal was a piece of cake and the recovery was a lot smoother. So hang in there and keep your head up. A perfect 10 is not so bad!!!
Talk to you soon. Call me sometime and we will come down and visit so the boys can play together.
Deb
Post a Comment