Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Michael goes to school with Mommy!


Michael and I decided to go to my school and to my mother's school today. The last time I took Michael to my school to visit my teacher friends, he was only 18 months old, or so. Everyone could not believe how much he has grown over the past few years. It was wonderful to be back in the building and to visit with my friends. There are two other girls who are expecting babies within just a few months of our little bundle, so it was great to catch up and compare notes. It's very likely that we will have a few "play dates" with the babies in early December, which will be lots of fun!

Initially, Michael was incredibly shy when we arrived at my school, and hid between my legs or begged to be held. Towards the end of our visit, he began to warm up to the friendly faces and chatted a little bit. We spent a lot of time coloring with my friend, Carrie. She is an amazing teacher and is so wonderful with children. Michael really enjoyed the time we spent with her this morning.  He loved her GIGANTIC box of crayons!! I also took Michael to the gym and let him shoot with the tiny basketball hoop. He really enjoyed pretending to be a big boy, shooting hoops in the gym just like his dad.

After visiting my friends, we had a date at Subway! It is a lot of fun to go out on dates with Michael. When we're home, I'm usually trying to do a million things while we're eating or my mind is always on the next household task. However, on our date this afternoon I was able to have a conversation with Michael and truly enjoy his company. I can't really remember what we talked about, but I do know that we talked throughout the entire lunch! (He never stops talking!)

The last stop of the day was my mom's school, where he was the center of attention. My mom's teammates all came out of their classrooms to visit with Michael and to watch him draw on the chalkboard. He received lots of praise and instruction on how to write his name. Apparently, I shouldn't be teaching him to write in capital letters; it drives elementary school teachers *crazy*! : ) My mom bought Michael a new numbers workbook, since workbooks are his new favorite activity! (Granddad H. bought Michael a workbook when he was on vacation. We spend every morning and evening working on handwriting and numbers, thanks to that workbook!)

I'm surprised at how much I miss school right now. I know I shouldn't be surprised because I truly love my job and my colleagues. Having this year with Michael and the baby is already such a gift, though. I'm grateful to be home right now, but I do look forward to going back to teaching one day.  

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds like you two had a wonderful day! I love having one one time with kids, especially little ones like Michael (for you) and my neice Ally since its amazing to see how much they've grown up in such a short amount of time.

Kelly A said...

I LOVE all of those workbooks too!!

I think I have a small obsession with buying them. I have ones tucked away for 2nd and 3rd graders!! I think we just need to get through Kindergarten first huh??!!

It's great that he has lots of teachers around him. He will be totally comfortable when it's time to start school!!