Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Is this what we're in for?

A friend from school recently told me that the "three's" are the most difficult age.  He has two children, a son three months older than Michael and a daughter who is in kindergarten.  I smiled politely and thought, "Whatever!  I don't believe it.  My son is so cute and sweet!" (Ha.)
  
Actually, though, my friend is right!  It's been two weeks since Michael's third birthday, and I believe that friend's theory.  Wholeheartedly.  From the lack of potty training/voluntarily pooping in the underwear (makes me want to VOMIT!!), to the night time temper tantrums, to the refusal to share, and to this newfound sense of independence/big boy-ed-ness (made up a word...):  I believe that friend.  

In fact, I think a number of people have warned me about the "three's".   I just put those negative comments out of my mind because we were blissfully living in the land of the "terrible two's".  Maybe I'm just especially tired and cranky, but I think that we've hit a little speed bump, or a maybe a deer in the middle of the road.  I'm not sure really sure what you'd call what we've hit, but I do know that it's been a difficult two weeks since we've hit the three's!  And, if your child has not hit the three's?  Beware.  : ) 

This photo is indicative of our current situation, he chose to wear a winter hat (that doesn't fit) on a walk around the neighborhood.  The temperature has been in the 90's for the past week.  My thought on the matter:  Fine, Michael.  You want to wear a hat that is going to make you miserably hot?  Fine.  I'm trying my best to pick only the very best battles.

5 comments:

4 Gobblers said...

Ahhhh . . . the horrible threes. Yep, they're the worst, but, as we say in our house, it's all a stage. I think 3 1/2 is much better!? :) Michael is too cute with the hat! Have a great rest of the week! (3 1/2 more days of kids!)

The Sweet Family said...

Yep, two's are a cakewalk compared to the terrible threes!

Love the hat. You know, maybe I should pass down my saying for you: Don't sweat the small stuff! If he wants to wear it, so be it. Besides, he looks so cute!

Kelly A said...

Was his hair completely plastered to his head after that walk?!?! Too funny!!!

Three...for us....was more difficult verbally. They can really communicate by then and know what they want. Children are so stinking funny!! :)

I love hearing all of your MB stories!!

You look great by the way!! You have the cuttest little belly!!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic picture to go along with an entertaining story. Although I know nothing about parenting - I'd say picking you battles is best...fighting everything would jsut be exhausting and I assume, like at any age in life, there are some lessons that 3 year old's must learn on their own (with your guidance of course)!


Amy

Anonymous said...

LOL!! You are too funny!! I know 3 was a tough age at our house as well with Alison. I'm hoping Tanner misses that stage. HA! HA! Hopefully, it will pass soon. I love the hat story. That picture is priceless!!

Take care Kate,
Melissa