Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Now I GET It...










I've always heard from fellow CPA wives that tax season, or busy season, isn't all that bad. I didn't get "it" until this year. No help around the house? How's that fun? No one to talk to at night? Seems kinda lonely to me. With the bad, though, comes the good. Shopping sprees get ignored, Ann Taylor Loft bills go up just a little, dinners are easier- take out or salads, and it's easier to sneak away during the day; I'm learning. ; )

My amazing husband is very protective of Michael and me. He loves nothing more than spend time together as a family and plan fun things for us to do. Pretty much every vacation has always been planned by Josh. And, as I mentioned above, with his love also comes the desire to always keep us safe and as close to home as possible.

A few days ago I announced that Michael and I were going to DC. Normally, this would send Josh into a bit of a frenzy. Normally, I would need to have a complete agenda, proof that I have directions, an oil change in my car that week, and a fully charged cell phone. Or, Josh would somehow convince me to change my mind. Not this week, however. : ) Josh is so incredibly busy and is up to his eyeballs in work, that he hardly has time to breathe or eat. I know I shouldn't take advantage, but....It's spring break! And, what a great time to take the little one to DC for a field trip! Right? My mom agreed to come along for the adventure, which was a huge help.

Our trip to DC was fabulous. We drove into the city, found a great little parking garage, and hit up the Smithsonian. Michael enjoyed the Museum of Natural History, but he was a little bit on the tired side. You'll notice that his little thumb was in his mouth in a number of the pictures. He really enjoyed the animal exhibits, particularly the rhinoceros and the hippopotamus. I have no idea why, but he is totally fascinated by these two animals. I would say, though, that he is still a little young to understand that we're looking at the remains of a dinosaur. He loved the pictures of the dinosaurs. The skeletons? Not so much. I think it's still a bit hard to conceptualize at this age.

After our jaunt around the museum, we grabbed a few hot dogs and then ate in the outdoor museum of sculptures. I probably have this museum's name a little mixed up... This was my favorite part of our day. We sat in front of a blooming magnolia tree, the sun was so warm, and the grass was so lush and green. And, boy did my hot dog taste good!! We took pictures, called my dad, and just enjoyed ourselves.

I can't wait to go back this spring, with Josh. Even though we have a little bit more freedom, in terms of doing crazy things...like driving to DC, I miss him. A lot.

3 comments:

Melis B said...

I am SO glad that you had fun in DC. That was such a sweet post!! You are such a great mom and wife. ;)

Your husband played great last night. We'll have to plan to meet up one night so the kids can play, maybe an early game.

Hugs,
Melis

Anonymous said...

What an awesome day! There is always a silver lining. I love going into the city for day trips and hitting up those places. There is something about the National History Museum that always makes you feel like a kid. I'm so happy it was a successful trip! Love you all! Amy

4 Gobblers said...

Ahhhh . . . tax season. LOVE IT/HATE IT! :) Just got back from the beach today. Trips without Tom - just what it's all about, unfortunately! Sounds like you had a great time in DC. Did you ever get to IKEA? Call me!