Wednesday, February 20, 2008

And, We're Gonna Race!



Michael is just as excited as I am about the impending half marathon, if not more. I told him about our weekend plans on Monday night during his bath. We talked about who is going to run in the race on Sunday, which Uncles he is going to see this coming weekend, and we talked about spending the night in a hotel. He was full of excitement on Monday night, and that excitement is carrying him right through the week. Yesterday morning, when we got to the sitter's house, he began telling her all about his Mommy RACING! and his Granddad RACING! I If you ask Michael about the race, he gives a "fake whistle" and pretends he is starting the race. He will then yell, with arm motions, "We say: GO, MOMMY, GO!!" He also says that he is going to run, too, and that my dad and I are going to chase him. That is certainly going to be true one of these days, but hopefully not this year.

Yesterday, as I was driving to school, after dropping Michael off; I couldn't help but hope (and wish) that he finds the same fulfillment in running one day. I know I shouldn't be exclusive in saying "running", and I should hope that he finds fulfillment with music or art or basketball or even football (!yiiikkes, don't want my baby to get tackled!). Running is such an empowering sport. There's nothing like warming yourself on a cold, winter's morning with a good, fast, strong run. To feel the crisp, fresh air fill your lungs in the dead of winter; what a blessing! Crazy as it sounds, I mean it!

It's so hard to explain the joy that I have found in running. It has brought so many wonderful friends into my life, people that I probably never would have met if I was not a runner. As a high school student, I would have laughed in disbelief if someone would have told me that I would go on to complete a marathon or wake at five am to meet running friends for a morning jaunt. What a gift my coach gave me as a seventh grade girl. It's funny to think that this love started so many years ago, at our park, here in our little town.

I can only hope the same for our son.

(The picture is from the 1st time I did this same half marathon postpartum! Michael was about nine months in this picture. We had such a wonderful time on that race weekend....)

3 comments:

Melis B said...

I'm so excited for race this weekend. I can't wait to hear all the details!! Good luck!!

I hope you do FABULOUS! Take LOTS of pictures!

Have a great weekend and enjoy the whole excitment of the hotel trip too with MB.

Hugs,
Melis

4 Gobblers said...

Good luck! I'll be thinking about you! ~Diane

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Good luck Kate...I'll be rooting for you sweetheart. I wish you all the best for the race :) Thanks so much for the inspiration!