Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cat-Like.

My brother, Clay, was referred to as the cat of the family because he hated the water. He could last in a pool for about ten minutes and would then sun himself on the hot concrete beside the pool. Daniel, James and I were on the swim team and couldn't get enough of the water. We were the fish of the family, if you will.

The tables have turned, however. I think I may have morphed from a fish to a cat.

This evening I decided that Michael needed some GOOD exercise. So, I took him swimming. We worked on collecting various pieces of his Halloween costume, had the healthiest dinner we could at Chick - Fil - A, and then went for a swim. (Dinner, by the way? What a nightmare. He wouldn't eat the grilled chicken sandwich with wheat bread, spilled his milk all over the table and on the floor, and THEN dumped his fruit on the floor as well. So fun!)

Swimming, surprisingly, went really well. Initially, we were both frozen, but Michael managed to defrost. ( I didn't...) He was quite content with swimming around and touching the numbers on the wall and playing with the lane lines. We also did a lot of singing, which helped.

I truly do love to swim, but I get chilled to my bone when the water isn't 80 degrees and the temperature isn't over 90. It's so annoying. But, I'll go ahead and bare with the coldness just so that Michael learns to love the water and so that he can experience the best exercise in the world.

The sacrifices we mother's make, I tell you....

1 comments:

Melis B said...

I would LOVE to meet you one night and take ONE of the girls with me. Maybe on the night that Linda picks up one, I can take the other! That would be SO fun. Where do you go? Let me know the next time...Linda is picking up Lauren tomorrow (thurs)...but if that's too much, let me know next week and we can try then too. :)

How fun. ~mb