Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My Fair Lady...Or, Fair Junky?



It's fair week, ladies and gentlemen! And, Katie is in her glory!

We took Michael B to the fair the first night to watch the beauty pageant. Michael enjoyed watching the "queens". Josh gave him a long, long, long spiel about the gender of beauty queens on the way home from the fair that night. Michael hasn't talked anymore about the queens, so maybe Josh's lecture settled itself in that spongy brain of M's. Time will tell, friends.

This morning, just before lunch, Michael and I decided to walk around at the fair and look at the animals. It seems that he's partial to sheep and is terrified of the steer barn. In Michael's defense, the steer are massive. We also enjoyed watching these two baby goats frolicking around a pen with with their mother. Michael had a hard time leaving that barn, in fact.

Next year, I think I'm going to let him work with a local family and show a dairy cow! Really, it's a calf...I don't want you to think that I'd toss him into the show barn with a seven foot dairy cow. That wouldn't happen...don't worry. But still, you're probably thinking, he'll only be THREE, Katie! Right? This is true, he'll still be very young; but I think it would be a great experience for him. Listening to directions, taking care of an animal, and the work ethic that comes with farming; are all very important lessons that I want the little sugar to learn. And, for those who are still a bit confused...I'd be with him every single step of the way...it would be just as much work for me, actually more for me.

It's a goal...for next summer or the following summer...And, it would give me another reason to be at the fair EVERY DAY of the week! : )

3 comments:

katie k-h said...

so, is the plural of steer: STEER or is it STEERS?

where are you, Granddad H.?

please help Josh and me settle this debate ...

Melis B said...

We love the fair too, although this city girl has never ventured during the day to the whole FARM thing....maybe next year. I guess since my kids are growing up here I will have to get used to the whole animal thing. :)

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence...Steve and I were just talking about getting Alison to join that little 4-H club, too! I think it is so cool how Debbie Hardesty works with those kids. Our nieces & nephews on Steve's side participate in this. We definitely need to get some info on it, and maybe Alison & Michael can do it together. :-))