Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mercy Me.

I'm so tired. School went well, for the most part. The kids are precious, the co-teachers are still awesome, I still love my officemate; but there were a few other work related things that kind of put a damper on my day and made me feel blue. That's all I'm going to say... : (

Michael had another fabulous day with the sitter. He's reaching this great imagination stage. Last evening, he got out a huge pot and pretended to "cook". Even though he said he was making hot dogs; he had a CD, shoes, cars, and spoons in the pot? The Brookstone "Nap" blanket was the lid to the pot. When he put the lid on, the hotdogs were "HOT!" I think his "girlfriends" at the sitter's help with the imaginary cooking and role playing with toys...

We also have a new favorite book in the house, "Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb." If you don't have it, go find it. Today. It's a first reader type book, full of short rhymes. This book is treasured by Michael, he has already memorized some of the pages and will just recite those pages at random times during the day. For example, while playing with his cars, I'll hear an occassional "Dum Ditty... Dum Ditty... Dum Dum Dum."


My mom says that he must know his nursery rhymes before kindergarten. She also says that rhyming is essential to learning how to read. So, there you go...He's on his way! And, my mom definitely knows what she's talking about, she's been teaching the primary grades for close to thirty years.

(FYI: I finally took the time to figure out what I needed to do to get the "compose" mode on the mac, so there will be numerous links throughout my posts from now on. Try it. Click on Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb! And, you'll be encouraged to buy the book via amazon. Yay!)

2 comments:

M the Mommy said...

So sorry to hear your day was a little frustrating...hang in there I am sure it will work out.
I just love reading your blog, Katie. I was a rock collector as a child so I understand Michael B's fascination. Give Josh and MB a big hug from the Chicago Hobert's!

Melis B said...

Love the link on your post, I always wondered how Jessica did that. You might have to teach me...can you get on that right after you learn to do blog banners? :)

I'm sorry your first day was frustrating, I hope your 2nd day is MUCH better. :) I'll be thinking of you.

~Melis