Tuesday, June 05, 2007

To be a Teen Again...

"So, I hear she's not going out for jazz band next year..., " says the cute girl in the green babydoll top while straddling a swing and talking to her friends in the shade.

"Whaaaat???, " says the girl in the plaid shorts.

" Yeah, yeah, yeah...I overheard her talking to Mr. Curry about not wanting to be the drum major next year," says the boy with his black top hat and long pony tail.

"That's awesome...she definitely doesn't have enough life in her to be a drum major," says the girl in the green top.

"Oh, so you know the orange girl....?" The girl in the plaid changes the subject to discuss another teen, who apparently tans too much, or something....





This is a snippet of the conversation that Michael and I heard while he was swinging at the park this evening. Yes, Michael was listening, too. His head was turned to the left so that he could hear. It was quite an interesting conversation, for some reason. It made me realize that when you're young (most of the time...or, it should be most of the time); your issues or worries should be trivial, like who is (or, who isn't) going out for jazz band next year. I'm realizing through teaching and parenting that those small worries must be preparing you for the bigger ones down the line...

This afternoon I wanted to tell those kids, enjoy talking about that jazz band for as long as you can.

But, then, I remembered...I also need to enjoy and relish in my own current state: pushing Michael on the swings, as well as riding down the slide with him on my lap. (He actually went down by himself today--he's turning into such a big boy.)

0 comments: