Sunday, June 10, 2007

Nestled in an Arm Pit...


This is why I couldn't possibly live in a city. I'm a country girl. I like my space and I don't like being cramped underground nestled in the arm pit of a man talking loudly about his nieces who play soccer and are in Girl Scouts. You just shouldn't talk, or at least not SO LOUDLY, while riding in an extremely cramped Metro car. And, because I'm short, I can't reach the upper poll of the car to hold on while the car is moving. So, naturally, I like to hold onto the poll that's right in front of me (Isn't that what it's there for???)...That is, unless there is a poll dancer wrapping himself around the poll and shifting his body so that's he's touching my hand at all times. GROOOOSSS.

Enough about the arm pit man, you say??? Onto the zoo, right?

Michael was in awe the entire day. I think it's evident in the slide show pictures. He's filled with such curiosity at this age; it's such a beautiful process to watch.

Our first stop was at the Panda Bear exhibit. We were very excited to see that all three Panda's were out yesterday morning, even the baby was up romping around. Michael told the baby to go play with it's ball. He even gave the bear "the finger point", which means he's serious. I learned an interesting fact--the female Panda is only fertile TWO days out of a whole year. Wow. No wonder it's such a triumph to successfully breed a Panda!

Some of our favorite exhibits were the tigers and the beavers. Michael was able to get a fantastic view of the tigers. One tiger rattled it's bowl continuously, it must have been feeding time! The bowl was at the bottom of a stairway that leads to the feeding area for the zoo keepers, I suppose. Michael really wanted to go downstairs with the tiger. We told him that wasn't a good idea...

Josh and I couldn't help but note the difference between this zoo and San Antonio's zoo--this one has so many trees that provide LOTS and LOTS of shade. The San Antone zoo--we're basically eggs on a frying pan... (We're heading to see our relatives in San Antone in a little over a week!!)

0 comments: