
For the past week or so, my students have been passing around yearbooks. And, to my disgust, they have been writing on one another's t-shirts. (Writing on skin or on clothing just plain annoys me, but I'm the type of person that can't stand an ink mark on my skin...)
Today, when I had a line of students asking me to sign their yearbooks; I figured out why so many children were running around with signed shirts and pieces of notebook paper. Do you know why they were asking me to sign their shirts; or, their assignment books, for that matter? Take a guess....
These children either couldn't afford a yearbook OR their parents told them that they were too much money and refused to buy one. Instead of being disgusted about writing on the t-shirt or a piece of loose- leaf paper, I decided to write a little note~just as I would for a child with a yearbook.
Growing up I never knew that there were kids that couldn't afford a yearbook.
Teaching sure has opened my eyes the past few years. Josh and I just talked about this, and we both admitted that there was no question about whether or not we would have a yearbook. And, I told Josh if my yearbook was stolen, my parents probably would have bought me a second book. Honestly, my yearbook, with all the signatures, was my prized possession at the end of the year. I still like to check out my yearbooks, even the middle school ones...
If I had a million bucks, I'd buy a bunch of yearbooks for children that can't afford them...Or, if I could turn back time, maybe I would have given mine up or asked my parents to buy one for a child who had to do without...Maybe next year I'll do something about this...
To Winter
5 years ago

1 comments:
I had no idea you even had to buy a yearbook. I am so naive I thought every student just got one. Knowing there are children who don't get yearbooks breaks my heart.
Post a Comment