Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Good for the Soul.

Yesterday Michael and I went to the park directly after school and daycare. I have a feeling that this is going to be our afternoon routine for the spring season.

There were a number of children relatively close to his age at the park yesterday. As usual, most of them were girls, and there were a few older boys that Michael desperately tried to befriend. While I was following him around the playground, I received a number of inquires about Michael's age, especially when Michael began to talk in front of the other tots. Many of them looked relieved when I told them that he's almost two. I put two and two together, and quickly realized that many of these mother's were thinking that Michael was thirteen, fourteen months because of his height! (That was the age of many of the children on the playground, who were towering over him.)

One mother thought that he was just a year, she quickly told me that her son was a year but wasn't talking like Michael! I wanted to tell her, it's okay! My son is almost TWO for crying out loud! A year makes a huge difference! And, furthermore, he's just short, okay? Michael must still be in the fifth percentile for height. (I don't need to take him back to the ped for confirmation about the growth chart.)

As it turns out, Michael is not a genius for his age, he's just short. It really is so hard to not compare what Michael is (or, is not doing), with other children his age. I guess it's a mothering thing...I do know he's a mighty special boy and does things when he's good and ready. That's been his personality from his earlier days in the womb. I sure do love this baby of mine...


1 comments:

J. Michael Hobert said...

short or not, he's a keeper

and you're alright too mom