Saturday, March 10, 2007

Brought me to my Knees


I lost him. For an excruciating thirty seconds, I lost Michael today. The fear that electrified my body in those thirty seconds, was the most horrific terror I have EVER experienced in my life. (I am not exaggerating.) The fear of losing Michael or of someone stealing Michael, hands down, trumps the fear that I felt my first day of college. Seriously, hands down.

The three of us went to watch our old high school play in the boy's and girl's basketball championship games. Michael and MaryJane went to the games, my parents went, and two of my brothers went, too; we had a blast. The gym had a great place to walk around with a little one and the seating was great because we had plenty of room for Michael and all of his gear.Both games were very close, and our teams won both games. We were so proud and so inspired by both the athletes and coaches. It was a great day for our community.

I "lost" Michael after the first game. The girl's game was close, and our whole row was standing up. Michael was playing with his crayons on the stadium seats behind my legs. When I noticed that I didn't feel my little guy moving behind me, I turned around. I looked to the right and then to the left. And then, I screamed..., "Josh, where is he??? Where's Michael???" I got louder and louder, screeching for him and looking all around the gym. My stomach dropped in that instant and my heart raced. I just couldn't get over the thought that someone picked him up from behind me and that I would never see him again. About thirty seconds into all of this, my mom grabbed my arm and said, "Katie, your dad has him. He's okay." I cried then. It was awful. But he was fine all along, and was happily cheering for the new state champions.

The day got much better from that point on. I have to admit, though, I've been pretty spooked since then...

We had a delicious, relaxing dinner on the way home with my parents and Clay. It really was a great family day. And, I'm very thankful that we're all home, safe and sound.

2 comments:

J. Michael Hobert said...

the terror attack notwithstanding, it was a great day filled with pride for all of us...

Harvey Sebastian said...

A couple of weeks ago when Joe and Harvey and I went to NYC, Joe went out to re-park the car early in the morning while HS and I continued to snooze. When we woke up, I looked at the clock. It was 10:15 and no Joe. I was certain that he had left before 9 to deal with the car. Within minutes I was panicked and imagining life without Joe, wondering when I would get a call from the police to identify the body. The next 15 minutes were excruciating. He left his cell-phone at home. Finally he came bounding in the door and burst out crying and hugging him. He couldn't believe it. "I just went to the hardware store...I'm sorry, honey!" One of the scariest moments in my life.