Forrest was right when he said, "My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
This morning Michael B and I woke to a heavenly sight, a few inches of beautiful, powdery, clean SNOW!! And you know what that means for a teacher...NO SCHOOL!! I did my usual snow day routine, got up at five forty-five and eagerly waited until six when the announcement was made. It's terrible that I know that an announcement will not be made until six, if school was not canceled the night before. There was a fleeting thought running through my head...Katie, you should stay up and straighten the house until Michael wakes up. Of course, the thought fleeted right on out of my head and I climbed back into bed with Josh.
Michael and I slept in until nine!! Again, what a heavenly sight...reading that the time was nine am on my alarm clock. We got the house straightened up, ate some breakfast, wrestled, and then began our search for last year's snow suit. I'm what you'd call "frugal", just like my dad. I can'
t stand to purchase something, like a snow suit, for twenty/thirty bucks if my son is only going to wear it two or three times throughout the winter. If you think about it, that's like paying ten bucks each time you go out to play in the snow! I know he doesn't have to only wear it in the snow; but if it's that cold outside, then I'm not going out and I know Josh won't.
We found the 6-9 month snowsuit in the basement. Yep, 6-9 months. It's a little snug, but it works just fine. It's not a fashion show, I told Michael. Once we got all dressed up, we scooted out the door. The 6-9 month snow suit made walking and getting up from a fall a little hard, so Michael spent a large part of the time rolling face first in the snow. He really didn't like that so much.
I was trying to be productive by shoveling the driveway for my hard working husband, when a gas -reader -guy walked through our yard. Duncan was outside, of course, and began barking and approaching this man. At first Duncan was nice, but then he kind of nipped at him. I still had the shovel in my hand and Michael was kinda close to the road. Naturally, I became flustered and was not sure who or what to grab. The child? The dog? The shovel to hit this man for walking through our yard, when he wasn't reading anything on our house anyway? I got the dog, but then told the guy I had to get my baby. He glared at me. Looking back now, I didn't even ask him if he was okay. Maybe that's why he glared?
At this point it was lunch time. We headed inside, or we tried to head inside. We weren't able to get inside because the door was LOCKED! My first thought was, maybe I can break in somewhere... Maybe I didn't lock the front door, maybe the back door is unlocked. Nope, nope, and nope. Thankfully, my dad, Michael and MaryJane, and even my Grandparents are all within walking distance. I was pretty sure that Michael and MaryJane still had a key from November when they helped us with the blinds. Really, the only thought running through my head was, do not call Josh right now, do not call Josh right, do not call, do not call...wait til you get in
side...Michael B. was then loaded into the jogging stroller and Duncan was tossed onto the screened porch.
And then , I did what any marathoner would do...I ran. We ran to my Dad's office and he watched Michael while I got the keys from Michael and MaryJane. Michael honestly acted embarrassed when we got to my Dad's office. It was like he knew something wrong happened and I think he was a little bit embarrassed about the 6-9 month snow suit.
Obviously, we're home. Michael has been fed and is sleeping in his crib. He has a pillow in there now. He says it makes him feel like a big boy. Well, he really didn't tell me that. But, I think he likes it... Have a good one and always remember that "life is like a box of chocolates"...

5 comments:
Must be nice to be able to sit around and type out long naratives on a snow day. I think Mombo would consider this living the Life of Riley.
Don't apply for any parent of the year awards after locking your son outside on a freezing day.
i think we need an audit...or at least an assessment.... i'm not sure we can trust her to care for that little boy...this is going in my child custody file.....
maybe i'll just "trash" these comments...hmmm?
Wanna hear my "lock out stories"? You are still riding high for the parent of the year award compared to this absent-minded mamma! In fact, last week I got a call from my landlord telling me that the babysitter locked herself out and that he needed permission to let her back in...oy oy oy. Never a dull moment:)
ok.. so we'll call off the dss referral but only because you've agreed to participate in the "key managment control" program for eight weeks. Further, you have agreed to refrain from compromising your son's fertility with snow suits or other "age-inappropriate" clothing that could impact the boy's loins. Finally, it must be noted that the humane foundation and clarke county animal protection service is also closely monitoring treatment of your dog, who was reported to have had been rendered barkless as a result of this most recent episode.
ps any attempt to "trash" comments will dealt with most severely...ie no more "wiggles" for you or your family!
Post a Comment