Saturday, October 28, 2006

What Marathoning is All About


It's 4:45 am, the alarm clock is sounding off and the rain is pouring outside. Grumbling in my head, I roll out of bed, put on my running clothes, and reach for some coffee. I waited and waited for a ring from a running friend to say, "hey, it's too wet this morning...let's reschedule for tomorrow." But, that call never came and I headed out the door to find my friends.

After about the first mile and a cup of coffee, I realized that the rain felt great and I felt so thankful to be outside running. The fresh air, being with friends, and enjoying the early hours of a Saturday morning, were all a blessing. Thirteen miles in wet shoes and wet clothes is not as pleasant as a brisk run in 45 degree weather with no wind, but it was worth every mile.

At one point on our run, we go past a golf course and we noticed the number of people actually turning into the parking lot--like they were planning to golf in this wet weather! So, I said to a friend, "how can one enjoy golfing in this weather...I really don't get it!" As soon as those words came out of my mouth, I realized that was probably what anyone driving in their WARM, DRY car was thinking about us as they zoomed past.

The Starbucks and the warm shower were also a great treat after the run this morning. Only two weeks to go 'til race day!

(Josh just said this is turning into my "life story" website. I told him no...just Michael and running.)

1 comments:

Mercedes said...

Hi Katie!
I loved your marathon training in the rain blog. The 4:45a.m really hit home, as I have started going to an exercise "boot camp". I have to get up at 4:45 if I want coffee before leaving the house at 5:15.Why does 4:45 sound so much earlier than 5:00? Anyway, your blog was an inspiration, so tell Josh it's not "just about you".
Love,
Chita