Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Celebrating Summer Solstice


Michael and I celebrated summer solstice today by having a playdate with a friend from school, napping, and by swimming at a local pool. For some reason, this is one of my favorite days of the year. Maybe it's just because my birthday is the following day, but I think I also enjoy this day because it's just a long summer day with lots of sunlight. This evening I made sure to get the dishes dried as quickly as possible so that I could sit on our deck and begin reading a new book while the sun was still out. It was a lovely, quiet evening.

Our visit to the pool today was so much fun. Michael is starting to take to the water, thanks to our visit to Port Aransas! We swam in the big pool for about a half an hour and then spent the rest of the time in the baby pool. Michael REALLY enjoyed the baby pool. He tried to crawl and did a lot of walking (with me holding his little hands). He enjoyed watching the other children, he made a little girlfriend, and waved to the lifeguards on duty. The swimming really wore him out, he was in a comatose state the entire drive home. I think we'll try to make swimming part of our daily summer routine.

Oh, I have to mention this too... Michael has a new way to show that he is frustrated...he sticks his whole hand in his mouth for about ten seconds and then moves on!! It is the funniest thing!! If we take something away from him, redirect him, or say no; in goes his little hand!! Thank goodness he is doing this instead of screaming, right?

Want to know more about summer solstice... http://www.infoplease.com/spot/solstice.html

0 comments: