Thursday, April 13, 2006

Signing Works!!


We have been working on teaching Michael a few signs so that he can communicate more effectively. He hasn't shown much interest in sign language until yesterday. After Michael and I visited Josh at his office, we had to do a few errands. The errands took longer than I was anticipating, which meant that Michael and I ended up being out of the house until a little after six. Big mistake. This is also Michael's dinner time! So he began to SCREAM the whole way home because he was starving. I was feeling so guilty for keeping him out so late and to make matters worse, he started signing that he was "all done" with riding in the car.

I felt like crying and laughing at the same time. I use the "all done" sign with Michael a lot, not just when he is finished with his meal. We use this sign when he is done having his clothes changed or taking a bath. Naturally, he hasn't used the sign once today and the sign language did not make the crying diminish yesterday, but it's great to see that he is learning how to communicate his wants. Parenting is so fun....

0 comments: